Education specially undergraduate studies are very expensive in United States. State universities usually charge more with fee around $30,000 a year which is just the fee. You can’t ignore the living expenses as well which will include lodging, books, supplies, lab fees, health insurance and travel costs etc. While its extremely expensive to study in United States there are some less expensive options available which can be opted to still get a degree from United States. You can study for cheap in a United States in a community college.
Every state in United States has numerous community colleges that offers the same degrees but on lower cost. Their standard might not be as high as of the State universities however still up to the mark. The process of applying in a community college is the same as of in any university in United States.
Process of Study for cheap in United States in Community colleges:
- You will first select a community college where you want to take admission.
- You will fill the admission form and will apply for admission as international student will all required documents.
- If you are accepted in that college/university, you will be issued with an I-20 document which is an official document that confirms that you are accepted in that college.
- You will apply for a student visa on the basis of I-20 in United States embassy for an interview.
- If the visa consular determines that everything is ok, the officer he will issue you an F-1 student visa.
Cost comparison of studying in State University VS Community college:
One year tuition fee as an international student in a State University can cost around $30,000/year where as in a community college the yearly fee can be as low as $16,000/year. You can easily find the fee details on all community colleges website. For international student the Out-of-state tuition fee is charged. The in-state tuition fee is for the residents of the same state.
A strong bank statement is required to study in Untied States:
As study is expensive while giving an interview for a student visa you must present a bank statement showing that you can spend on your studies and other expenses. If you cannot show a bank statement, do not bother applying for a student visa.