Zarda is one of the easiest sweet dish one can make, that doesn’t take time. Mostly women avoid making it as they fear their zarda wouldn’t turn out good or their rice will end up being hard however this Zarda Sweet Rice – Easy Pakistani recipe would help you make best and easiest Zarda. If you will follow this simple Zarda recipe your rice will remain soft at the end and your Zarda will taste really good. You can make it on special occasions and can add almost any dry fruit you like.
- Rice – 1 glass
- Sugar – 3/4 Glass
- Milk – 1/4 Glass
- Ghee/Oil- 2tbs or more if you like, I prefer healthy
- Green Cardamon (Choti Ilaichi) – 1/4 Glass
- Almond – to taste (boil it a little in water and remove skin)
- Pistachio – to taste (Boil it a little in water)
- Dry coconut slices (giri) – to taste
- Raisins (Kishmish) – to taste
- Yellow food color (Zarda Rang)
- Soak rice in water for at-least half hour. Boil lots of water, add rice in it along with yellow food color (Zarda Rang). Wait till the rice become tender, not soft and not hard, drain the rest of the water
- In a pan, fry green cardamon in it, add milk and and sugar in it. As soon the sugar is dissolved add rice in it and mix it well. If your rice are very soft you can cook the sugar a bit before adding the rice in it but its preferred you just dissolve it and add rice in it so make sure your rice are not too soft.
- When the water is almost dry, add dry fruits in it and put it in Dam. For Dam I use a cloth wrapped around the lid and put it on the pot on a very low flame. Wait around 10 minutes before opening the lid. If you think the rice should be cooked more, put back the lid and wait for another 5 minutes.