I know few people who did their MBBS from Pakistan and then came to United States for giving USMLE papers. USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) is a doctorate exam that will make you equivalent to a doctor in United States.
As soon the doctor finish this exam they can look for a residency in United States (its medical internship for first year in United States), if they get it, the hospital issue a working visa to them (H1 visa). Residency can last up-to 3 years and salary is around $50,000 – $70,000 per year. After residency they will practice as full doctor with around $100,000 salary per year.
Apart from salary there are many other benefits doctors will get which they might never get in Pakistan.
- They get respect
- They work in cleanest hospitals in the whole world
- Friendly environment and staff
- Everything has proper procedures, no bribes and references in the hospitals
- They have to deal/treat mostly educated people
- They do not get to see heap of patients on daily basis, they call it a hectic day when they see around 30 patients a day.
- You get compensated for extra time you spend, time you spent in Emergency room. If you opt to be on call anytime for an emergency your compensation increases.
- The senior doctors are extremely polite and friendly and you don’t have to deal with their bad temperament.
- If you are a female, in United States you will not have to face the disgusting eyes of the male patients.
- You will get paid on time and you will have a specified timing when you will have to work.
- The have latest equipment to use that can give more accurate results in very less time.
All the above mentioned benefits cannot be found in Pakistan. Hospitals are mostly dirty and not properly sanitized. Doctor has to see more than 100 patients a day and no specified timings for doctors. You hardly get paid as a resident and if you do, you salary will be around 15,000 – 20,000 PKR which is not even sufficient to run a family of two. Most of the patients are uneducated and does not understand anything. When a doctor’s services will not be appreciated in Pakistan and he will not get respect its completely justified for him to move to some other country where he will get a treatment he deserves.
Note: I am not doctor myself and this post is based on the feedback of some of doctor friends in Pakistan and United States. If you disagree or have some more to share, please comment below.