Few days back, I had a visa interview for B1/B2 visa. I Intend to participate in medical school program of 4 month observer-ship and training….I asked medical school before applying and they said I should go for B1/B2. The visa officer, however, said that he is confused about the category that if it should be B1/B2 or J1. He said he is not denying me the visa but he has to sort this out. I applied US visa for the first time and my training starts within a month….I don’t know whats next? Is there still a chance of refusal? I don’t know much about Visa thing…
For educational training the visa mostly issued is J1. B2 (business visa) is issued if you have to visit United States for some conference or lecture etc for few days only. 4 month training program should come under J1. If the person has taken your documents and is satisfied that your program is legit then they most probably will not refuse visa if your records are clear on their names database 🙂 .. They hardly reject the visa once they take papers, unless there is a problem. If your name contains any common names like “Muhammad” or “Khan” etc then its a common understanding that your visa processing will take longer, can vary from 1 month to 7 or 8 months, if not then up-to 2 months. No one can confirm the exact time when the visa will be issued. If they will accept your application as J1 then they might ask you fill up the J1 forms and submit again however you might not need to give another interview.
Hope it helps.
Thank you very much for quick and detailed reply. May I ask you further?
1. I shown them that my hosting school recommended B1/B2 because letter they sent has a title like “Visiting Medical Professional”. It does not mention any training.
2. Muhammad Do come with my name…but if would have to put me into “administrative processing” check, should not they give me a written paper about that…actually they did not give me any thing…
3. The Visa Officer said, he is accepting my papers and all he wants to do is to check correct visa category….and he will contact me if he has to …
4. Visit visa at Islamabad are usually released within 2 weeks…Should I still expect a delay….
no problem, I am glad I was able to help.
1. yes, its confusing, let the embassy professional see which visa he needs to issue, it doesn’t matter whatever visa you get, you can go and attend your session easily.
2. They do not issue any paper to anyone and never tell any time the visa will be issued, someone I know was issued with J1 visa in 6 weeks, that’s the earliest I have heard someone got his visa with name “Muhammad” in it. My father got his visit visa B1/B2 in 7 months (muhammad) and my father in law got it in 8 months (again muhammad). No one can tell exact time when you will get visa, even if you call they will not tell you any time.
3. If you have mentioned the date when the the course will start then there is possibility that they will expedite the process however they will never promise that you will get visa before your course date. What I think is that you should expect delay but again, no one knows you get visa tomorrow.
Best of Luck
First of all thank you very much for being so helpful. Just one thing, someone told me that all the security checks are done before granting the visa. Few of my friends received letters for “Administrative processing” at the time of conclusion of interview…and wait time is not predictable….so in my case they told me that they are giving me the visa…..do they normally security checks even after granting the visa?
They run basic security check on computer (they do something on computer, that’s what I perceive) They also judge whether you are coming back to Pakistan or not, if they think your case is genuine and you have ties within your countries then they approve you for the visa and send your paper for processing. It means they approve you for getting a visa in interview however the administrative processing is done after that. I remember my father and father in law getting that letter however whether they give it or not, the processing time is not confirmed.
I am a government employee…will I get some benefits in security checks for my name ……containing Muhammad?
It doesn’t matter where you work.