The first thing you must consider buying is Laptop. Most people use Laptop while in USA and laptop still cost higher in Pakistan due to several import duties and lesser competition in market. I would prefer buying a new laptop online. Buying from a store is expensive most of the time. You can buy a new or used laptop from Amazon.com. There are many other stores where you might find some deals including newegg.com, bestbuy.com, Staples.com, Officemax.com or even on Ebay.com.
In this modern age everyone needs a Digital camera and in Pakistan too, people are shifting to Digital cameras. Digital cameras are quite expensive in Pakistan due to the import duty and taxes. Not all camera brand variety is available in Pakistan and cameras are not available on every digital shop due to which people does not even have the idea of correct price and camera worth. My brother purchased an Olympus camera for 27,000PKR from Pakistan whereas it was fro $100 in United States that time. Seriously, you will save a-lot of money if you buy a camera from United States before moving back to Pakistan. The cheapest and the best camera you can buy from any website is Amazon.com which offers digital cameras on lowest price. If you are interested in buying a Digital SLR (Professional camera) consider buying its accessories like lenses, flash etc from USA. Second best option for buying a camera is bestbuy.com, third and fourth will be Wal-Mart or Newegg however you must compare prices online before you buy.
If you want a factory unlocked and brand new cell phone then it’s better to buy from Pakistan because it will be cheaper, you will have its one year warranty and its charger plug will be Pakistani too. I have purchased many cellphones for my family member from USA on very low price but they were either used or locked. You can buy it so cheap that you can not even believe it sometimes however you might need to do some homework first. I bought almost all mobile phones from either craigslist.com (Local listing) or Ebay. Before buying a phone you need to consider few points.
- It should be a GSM (Sim based phone) Currently in USA only two GSM networks are running AT&T or T-Mobile. You can not buy any CDMA (Non SIM) phone as it will not work in Pakistan as in Pakistan all networks are GSM so buying a CDMA phone will be useless. Famous CDMA phones in USA are Verizon, Sprint, Nextel, US Cellular, Boost Mobile etc.
- Instead of looking for some specific phone, you can look the list of phones that AT&T and T-mobile offers and search them on either Craigslist or Ebay under new or used. You must purchase a phone without contract (No obligation to pay any bill). Usually seller explicitly mention that the phone is under contract or sometimes you have to ask them. Mostly phone sold are without contract means after paying for the cell phone you are not obligated to pay for the monthly plan cost (to call or SMS, because almost all cell phone are sold cheap by companies with the contract of 1 or 2 year of paying the bills for calling)
- Third thing you will be interested in is weather the cell phone is unlocked or not. If its unlocked then it means you are free to buy it as it will work with all SIM cards in Pakistan. If it’s locked then you can see if it can easily be unlocked or not. Normally AT&T phones can be unlocked for around $5 and refurbished AT&T phones can be unlocked for around $12 (Unlocking an iphone is a whole different story). Unlocking a T-mobile phone is little expensive, around $20. You can buy all unlocking codes from Ebay if you have an account. Other websites also sells codes but I never personally tried it so can not recommend.
- The cell phones I have personally purchased, unlocked and used in Pakistan are AT&T Samsung Focus, T-Mobile LG Optimus P500, Tmobile Motorola Cliq Motoblur MB220, AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800, AT&T Nokia 6085, T-mobile MyTouch 3G slide, T-mobile Mytouch 4G, AT&T Nokia E71x, AT&T HTC Tilt TyTn II, AT&T Htc Fuze, AT&T Blackberry Bold 9000, AT&T Apple Iphone 3G, AT&T Apple Iphone 3GS (Apple needs jail-breaking and unlocking before it can be used in Pakistan).
- The phones that were already unlocked when I have purchased and worked in Pakistan are Motorola RIZR Z3 (Ebay Hong Kong seller), Nokia E63 (from Amazon.com) etc.
- The phones that did not work in Pakistan are Unlocked Nokia 1616 and Unlocked Nokia 6300, the reason for that these phones had different frequencies. In Pakistan mostly networks operate on 900 / 1800 network frequency but these phones had 850 / 1800 frequency. What you have to check while purchasing phone is that on which frequency it runs because few phones only work on 850 / 1850 thus does not work in Pakistan. You can check it on www.gsmarena.com, enter the cell phone model and in specification, check network, if it has two type of networks then you will have to check with the seller about the exact frequency of the mobile phone you want to purchase.
Household items / Gadgets:
You can not buy any appliance due to voltage (110-120v in United States) however you can buy small kitchen items that you think are useful like baking pans, cute knives and spoons etc if you like.
There are some very cool gadgets and accessories which are different and funky. Thinkgeek.com carries all the fun gadgets which are awesome and in very reasonable price.
Medicines / Vitamins / Food Suppliments:
Some of the medicines people normally use are Tylenol for headaches, Claritin for Allergy (Cold & Cough etc), Tums for burning and acidity, Vitamins, (one a day women, one a day men and lots of others) and food supplements. Vitamins are mostly imported in Pakistan and are expensive when compare the same brands that are available in USA. People who are use to of taking multivitamins might find it difficult to find similar vitamins in Pakistan. You can buy these from any pharmacy, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Walmart etc however if you are looking to buy online Amazon provides the best rates and free super-saver shipping for orders $25 or more on qualified products.
If you are interested in finding more unique products and stuff to purchase then visit this link: