If you want to apply for visit visa for tourism or visiting a family member in United States you will need to apply for a B2 visit visa. B1 visit visa is for business travelers only. The process for applying for B1 or B2 visa is the same and is mentioned below.
You will need to have a picture taken according to the requirement of united states embassy which should be with white background and 2 x 2 inches in size.
- You only need to fill one form which is DS-160 that is web based, you will need to fill the information online.
- After submitting an online application you will get a confirmation which you need to print.
- After that you will need to visit an American Express Bank Ltd, a participating branch of American Express, or Speedex in Pakistan where you need to submit the fee and get the receipt . Visa fee is $160 which is around 14,500 Pak Rupee (previously it was $140).
- They will give you the appointment for interview and will notify you about the date and time.
- Prepare the below mentioned documents before your interview.
List of Documents:
- The one-page confirmation form (with legible barcode) from the DS-160;
- A current photo (within the last 6 months) measuring 2″ x 2″ with white background;
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the planned date of entry to the U.S.
- Photocopies of the bio-pages of all previous passports for the last 15 years.
- A complete travel history for last 10 years, mention the name of country, entry or exit date.
On interview day:
- On the interview date reach at-least 30 minutes in advance, keep in mind that you will have to take the shuttle so calculate time accordingly.
- Interview is mostly straight forward mainly focusing on your reason to visit and to evaluate whether you will come back to Pakistan or not.
- Most of the times if your visa is rejected you will be notified at the spot and your passport will be returned.
- If they keep your passport, you will be asked to wait for the administration process. Once the administration process is complete they courier your passport to your home.
- Normally they give 90 days time period when your visa will be issued, you will not be able to expedite the visa process in any case. For women the visa can be issued as early as two days most of the times within a week however for male it can take 2 to 8 months. My personal experience is that it mostly takes more than three months so you need to apply for visa ahead of time so you can travel on time.
- You might send email to US embassy after 90 days if your visa is still not issued but they will always tell you that the processing time may take time and they can not confirm anytime when your visa will be ready.
To get the complete details about the USA non-immigrant visa check this website
For complete details about the photo requirement click on the link below
For complete details of the courier services where you can submit your fee and get appointment click on the link below
If you want to apply visa in an emergency then the process can be expedited, please follow below mentioned link for details