Channay ki daal is one of the famous Daal made and consumed in Pakistan with plain boiled rice and Achaar. I am mentioning below an easy recipe of Daal Channa that is normally used in households.
- 1 Cup Channa Daal (soaked for 2-3 hours in water)
- 5 Cup water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 3 tbs oil for tarka
- 1 or 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp of chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp Zeera (White cumin seeds)
- 1 onion (small for tarka, cut in slices)
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- Parsley (Dhaniya)
- Put soaked Channa daal and 5 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil surface scum. Add salt, chilli powder and tumeric powder in it.
- Cover it by leaving the lid slightly open. Cook and simmer it on low flame for about 1 ½ hours or until Daal is tender.
- Stir after every 10 minutes to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of pan.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan, add onions and dry red chillies, when the onions starts to turn brown add the cumin seeds and garlic.
- Stir fry until onions are dark brown and add it to the Daal, turn the heat off and add garam masala powder and Dhaniya in it.
Note: you can soak it overnight as well but put it in the fridge